When dealing with your gums and teeth, the amount of time and effort you put into caring for them will play a role in determining how healthy they are. Dr. Steadman has five tips that you can use to safeguard your oral health to prevent loss of teeth and avoid putting your overall health at risk.
- Clean your teeth twice a day at least. Use a fluoride-containing toothpaste and don’t forget to change your old toothbrush every three or four months.
- When you leave home and go to bed at night, rinse your mouth with mouthwash. Mouthwash helps eliminate harmful bacteria. It also helps make your breath fresh.
- To have your teeth and gums checked, see a general dentist every six months. Regular dental appointments will reduce your chances of having cavities and gum disease significantly. If you have any issues with your teeth and gums, such as pain and chipped or missing teeth, see your dentist more often.
- Reduce your sugar intake. Try not to eat high amounts of sugary foods and drinks. Upon interaction with your saliva, sugar releases acid. Acid wears away the enamel on your teeth, leaving weaker teeth behind.
- Invest in a toothbrush of high quality. Toothbrushes come in textures that are soft, medium and rough. Use a soft toothbrush if you suffer from sore or bleeding gums. Do not forget to discard and remove your old toothbrush every three months to prevent soaking your mouth in the bacteria that have collected in the bristles.
Dr. Steadman is more than happy to provide you with a customized dental treatment plan if you are experiencing dental problems that make it difficult for you to enjoy good dental health. Under his treatment, you will achieve long-lasting good dental health.
To get started with improving your dental health, contact our offices in Richmond, Virginia to schedule an appointment with Dr. Steadman,