Periodontal (gum) disease does not have to become a reality for you. It is often associated with symptoms such as gum swelling, tooth pain, and discomfort, and if left untreated, can lead to systemic health illnesses such as diabetes, heart disease, and stroke. Fortunately, there are many ways and things that you can do right now to reduce or eliminate your chances of getting gum disease in Richmond, VA.
A few helpful tips to consider
- Regular brushing and flossing: Brushing and flossing twice daily can significantly minimize your chances of getting gum disease. This is because gum disease is caused by bacteria or plaque buildup in or around the gum area, leading to inflamed and irritated gums. Brushing and flossing regularly can remove the bacteria that causes gum disease and keep your mouth and gums healthy!
- Maintain a healthy diet: Eating a healthy diet including vegetables, fruits, lean proteins, and plenty of water can help improve your oral health which can be a reflection of your overall health. Your diet should be well-balanced to help boost your immune system to fight off any bacteria that may be lurking and trying to cause an infection of the gums.
- Eliminate or reduce smoking: Smoking can not only have an impact on your oral health but can also affect your overall health. Cigarette smoking can lead to unhealthy teeth and gums and should be avoided to help decrease the chances of developing gum disease.
- Choose a good toothpaste: a gum disease fighting or preventing toothpaste should include fluoride and other plaque and bacteria eliminating agents to ensure your oral health remains in-tact.
- Proper sleep: Getting a good night’s rest and reducing stress can help improve your immune system and overall health to make sure your body can remove any bacteria that can cause gum disease.
Schedule A Consultation
Contact our office in Richmond, VA to schedule an appointment with our doctors, Dr. Robert B. Steadman and Dr. Grant Steadman, by calling our new patient line at (804) 767-4821 so we can help you learn and understand more about how to get or maintain a healthy mouth and gums to make sure you avoid getting gum disease!